Sunday, June 15, 2014

Color Color Everywhere

I love color. I normally love to wear black and add a hint of color to my wardrobe; however with a new outlook on life I have discovered COLOR. I have so many ideas for my suits and I would love to make a suit in every color imaginable but that would be quite sloppy and not as constructive. I have an inspiration for my sample pieces which now has carried over to my choosing fabric and some pieces that will go onto the suits. I have a bulletin board hanging in my room so that I may pin up a sample color and build them upon each other with the extra ornaments. This is how it all starts...it will take awhile before I see these colors in a line up of suits before my very eyes however I feel like this is where it all starts.
 I also have been working with elastic and figuring out how it can be sewed onto the four way stretch fabric. It takes some know how and practice not to mention pulling and fuming, but I have progressed with being able to sew elastic onto my fabric. My past night at sewing it took me a bit to practice and learn how to put it all together correctly. I apologized to my sewing instructor, her response, "No worries, you are learning more tonight than any other." I remind myself patience is a virtue and to take my time learning this process. I remember watching a movie about the famous chef Julia Child. The movie explains how she discovered a love for cooking. She was quite bored with her daily life in Paris (who would have thought) so she decided to connect a hobby to what she loved most that that was eating.  She decided to go to school and learn how to cook. Well, in school, which was primarily male students, she had a difficult time one day learning how to chop up an onion. It was an embarrassment for her since she felt that she needed to prove herself being the only female student in the classroom. That night she went home with a Costco size (there were no Costco's then but you all get the idea I hope) bag of onions and practiced chopping. The next time they were asked to chop up an onion she was quite good and finished before all the other students. She finished with a flair and announced, 'Ta DA' in front of everyone. I love this part. It gives me encouragement to practice practice practice.  I may not behave in the same manner when I get to class and put a suit together without much difficulty however, I will be quite excited. I am discovering making a swimsuit is more than just picking out a pretty piece of  fabric and sewing it together....it needs to fit the body well and hold. The process has many layers but for now I will enjoy gazing at all the beautiful color swatches and dream up a line that flows. What is my inspiration? Well I will not give out that quite yet but I can say it does involve a beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment